Thursday, December 9, 2010

Devotion Time 12/08/10

This was my devotion from last nights Awana class at Graceway.




A contrast between the book of Job and the New Testament.

The book of Job is intimately tied to the New Testament because Jobs questions and problems are answered perfectly in Jesus Christ. I want to show you how.

1. Someone must help us to approach God.

"For he is not a man, as I am, that I might answer him,
that we should come to trial together. There is no arbiter between us, who might lay his hand on us both." (Job 9:32-33 ESV)

How Jesus is the Answer.

"For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus," (1 Timothy 2:5 ESV)







2. Job asks a question is there life after death?

"If a man dies, shall he live again? All the days of my service I would wait, till my renewal should come." (Job 14:14 ESV)

How Jesus is the Answer

"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live." (John 11:25 ESV)







3. There is one in heaven that is working on our behalf.

"Even now, behold, my witness is in heaven, and he who testifies for me is on high." (Job 16:19 ESV)

How Jesus is the Answer

"For Christ has entered, not into holy places made with hands, which are copies of the true things, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God on our behalf." (Hebrews 9:24 ESV)






4. There is one that can save us from judgment.

"For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth." (Job 19:25 ESV)

Chris is the answer!

"But he holds his priesthood permanently, because he continues forever. Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them."
(Hebrews 7:24-25 ESV)







5. What is important in life?

"Why do the wicked live,
reach old age, and grow mighty in power?
Their offspring are established in their presence,
and their descendants before their eyes.
Their houses are safe from fear,
and no rod of God is upon them.
Their bull breeds without fail;
their cow calves and does not miscarry.
They send out their little boys like a flock,
and their children dance.
They sing to the tambourine and the lyre
and rejoice to the sound of the pipe.
They spend their days in prosperity,
and in peace they go down to Sheol.
They say to God, ‘Depart from us!
We do not desire the knowledge of your ways.
What is the Almighty, that we should serve him?
And what profit do we get if we pray to him?’"
(Job 21:7-15 ESV)

Jesus is the Answer:

"For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?" (Matthew 16:26 ESV)







6. Where do we find God?

"Oh, that I knew where I might find him,
that I might come even to his seat!
I would lay my case before him
and fill my mouth with arguments.
I would know what he would answer me
and understand what he would say to me."
(Job 23:3-5 ESV)

Jesus is the answer.

"Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?" (John 14:9 ESV)






Also look at Colossians 1:15 and Hebrews 1:1-4.......

"He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation."
(Colossians 1:15 ESV)

"Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs."
(Hebrews 1:1-4 ESV)

No comments: